The Santa Barbara Foundation is committed to strengthening nonprofit organizations and building the capacity of the arts social sector through the support of Towbes Fund for the Performing Arts. Grants will be available to nonprofit organizations seeking to further their mission of providing quality performing art opportunities. The Towbes Fund for the Performing Arts seeks to invest in, nurture, and grow the arts sector by offering support for performances of higher caliber. In response to the COVID-19 crisis and to support organizations that have been affected by the pandemic, funding from the Towbes Fund for the Performing Arts has shifted and will be available to qualifying performing arts nonprofit organizations for general operating support.
Priority will be given to organizations that:
- demonstrate sustained and/or increased demand for the performing Arts
- are taking steps to sustain or expand organizational capacity to address demand for quality performing arts opportunities
- demonstrate cultural competence among volunteers, staff, and board members for the communities served
- demonstrate continuity and engagement, to engage the underserved communities across Santa Barbara County to participate and have access in the arts
- access to artistic, music, and dance programs in Santa Barbara County.
Types of Support
Towbes Fund for the Performing Arts Grants are available for a variety of activities in the following areas:
- Expansion of existing programs
- Pilot Programs
- Organizations that seek to produce, present and preserve exceptional works from a variety of artistic traditions, and ensure opportunities for participation that reflect the demographic diversity of Santa Barbara County
- Collaborative efforts to leverage community access to performing arts opportunities
- General operating support
Funding Amounts and Duration
The maximum award for the Towbes Fund for the Performing Arts is $15,000. The grant review committee may reduce or increase award amounts at its discretion. The grant period is up to one year from the award date. A final report is required and is due within 13 months of the grant award, preferably no later than 30 days following the project completion
Towbes Fund for Performing Arts Grants are not for:
- Capital Items or Equipment
- One-time events, including recurring annual events
- Fundraising event
Please visit the Eligibility Criteria & FAQs for a complete list of what the foundation does not fund.
- The Towbes Fund for Performing Arts Grant are available to organizations serving all regions of Santa Barbara County.
- Organizations must be certified as tax exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or use a fiscal sponsor with 501(c)(3) tax status. Applications that do not contain a valid EIN (tax ID) number will not be considered. Organizations using a fiscal sponsor must review the Eligibility Criteria & FAQs for additional information and instructions.
ONLINE Application Process
Santa Barbara Foundation utilizes an online application. Please follow the instructions below to access, complete and submit your application to the foundation.
- To apply, go to SBFoundation.org/apply. If you do not already have a log-in for this platform, please proceed to the next steps.
- On the Welcome to the Santa Barbara Foundation Grants Portal page, click on “Register” and complete the form to create an account for the Grants Portal. You will be asked to furnish an email address, create a password and state the name of your organization. We advise using a perpetual email address (such as firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com) so that the organization’s profile is not exclusively linked to one individual’s email address.
- IMPORTANT – You will receive an email confirming that your account is active and you will then be able to complete and submit a grant application. Please take this timing into consideration when reviewing application deadlines as you must allow time for your account to be created prior to submitting an application before the deadline. (If you are establishing an account on Friday, the registration confirmation will occur on the following Monday.)
- Once your account has been confirmed, you may login and complete the grant application.
- Save your work often and log out at any time.
- To access the partially completed application again, you will need to log into the account you created to access the grant application.
|October 1, 2021
|Late October 2021
For questions about the Towbes Fund for the Performing Arts Grants program and funding eligibility, or technical assistance, please contact Jessica Sanchez, Director of Donor Relations, at (805) 963-1873 or jsanchez@SBFoundation.org.