What is a Donor Advised Fund?
A Donor Advised Fund (DAF) provides you with immediate tax benefits and allows you to support your charities of choice through grant recommendations – on your own timetable. You will receive the maximum tax deduction in the year the contribution is made.
What are the benefits of a Donor Advised Fund?
- It provides you with a low-cost, flexible giving vehicle that is easy to establish.
- You can give complex or unusual assets at fair market value, including cash, real estate, closely-held stock, bonds and mutual funds, etc.
- It is an efficient vehicle for supporting meaningful issues and causes in Santa Barbara County – or even outside of the county.
- There are no annual minimum distribution requirements, unlike private foundations.
How does a Donor Advised Fund work?
- You give your assets to the Santa Barbara Foundation, who will steward the fund.
- With foundation assistance, you evaluate and recommend grantees/nonprofits that will benefit from your funds with our assistance.
- We distribute grants from your fund to eligible nonprofits.