Katherine Harvey Fellows
Katherine Harvey with her poodle Celeste.
The Katherine Harvey Fellows program was established in 1999 by the Santa Barbara Foundation to honor the late philanthropist, Katherine Harvey, who became a member of the foundation in 1940 and was one of the foundation's first female trustees.
Run in partnership with Leading From Within, the program is an 18-month leadership development program designed to serve the community and area nonprofit agencies. This experiential learning opportunity includes three primary components: education about the key elements of philanthropic work, running an effective grantmaking process, and mentoring and alumni engagement. Each class of fellows is a cadre of talented and motivated future community leaders who are deepening their knowledge about and commitment to community leadership, service, and philanthropy.
Fellows are selected from nominations made by Santa Barbara Foundation trustees and staff as well as members from the Katherine Harvey Fellows alumni. Program participants are young professionals, ages 25 to 45, from diverse fields and communities across Santa Barbara County who have a passion for learning about and engaging in community leadership.
- Identify their personal values and how they would like to engage as a "citizen actor"
- Explore various ways of solving community issues (i.e., community service, philanthropy, social impact, advocacy, and public-private sector collaboration)
- Learn aspects of a successful nonprofit
- Identify how to have meaningful nonprofit and community involvement
- Understand the giving strategies of key community funders
- Choose an area of giving focus and decide how to grant funds with maximum impact
- Learn the basics of fundraising and add to the funds for grantmaking provided to the group by the Santa Barbara Foundation
- Engage with a diverse cohort to research and select grantees
Since 2000, the Katherine Harvey Fellows have raised over $400,000, including matching funds from the Santa Barbara Foundation, and have funded agencies and projects such as Youth Making Change, Community Economic Relief Fund, and People’s Self Help Housing.
For more information about the Katherine Harvey Fellows program, please visit leading-from-within.org/katherine-harvey-fellows.